Tuesday, March 29th
Using VIM without arrow keys and reliance on insert mode slows me down quite a bit. A lot the work I was doing this morning was pretty repetitive so it was a good opportunity to observe what commands I could benefit from. I made mental note of a lot of the things I found frustrating or particularly slow, but I never really consulted the docs or web to try and figure out a more efficient way, rather I relied on more of the basic commands I happened to remember. VIM also isn’t ideal in Intellij despite my efforts there is still quite a bit of mouse work and it’s hard not to fall back into old habits.
Several vim commands I found myself leaning on:
y, Y, yy = all variations of yank aka. copy
D, dd, x = several variations of delete
p, P = paste of course
ciw = change delete one word and automatically go into insert mode to type another
The Zagaku today was on working remote effectively. Even though it was on a “softer” subject I found it helpful since It emphasized communication, which is something I think I can improve quite a bit on. Considering, most of the interaction with my mentors is remote communicating effectively is key to getting all-important feedback. So I think moving forward it would make sense to share more with my mentors, even if I think it might be too much. I’m sure they will tell me if it is. In the same vain, I think I could make my workflow more communicative as well by committing more.
As I work towards 100% test coverage, I’m learning more and more about what it does and doesn’t make sense to write unit tests for. In almost all my classes I neglected to write tests for exceptions i.e. in a try-catch block I have no tests that validate the behavior in the catch. Since this is a potential “end-condition” for many of my methods it makes sense to test it. I also learned that instead printing to System.out as I normally might, it’s better and more conventional to log errors using a logger. Potentially, more on that tomorrow, as I dig into the implementation details.